Carbonmastic... What is it?
Carbonmastic is essentially a small Stone Mastic Asphalt that has been modified with Carbon Char.
Nominally a 7mm maximum stone sized structured dense asphalt that provides superior performance properties over conventional asphalt.
Austek Asphalt Production’s Carbonmastic is a proprietary product that meets the national AAPA SMA 7 specification.
Produced using activated carbon char, cellulose fibre, lime, bitumen and quality high skid-resistant virgin aggregates (58 PSV) our Carbonmastic sets the standard.
What benefits does Carbonmastic provide over conventional Asphalt?
Similar to Carbonphalt for or every 1 tonne of Carbonmastic Asphalt produced we reuse 10 local light vehicle tyres.
Carbonmastic is a versatile asphalt product that provides superior durability and is exceptionally robust.
The cellulose fibre and bitumen rich mix blend create a strong mastic between the aggregates that helps provide its strength and resistance to rutting.
The single stone matrix design combined with bitumen, carbon, lime and cellulose fibres produces a strong interlocking skeletal adhesive bond between the aggregates,
Attracts a very good skid resistance measure when using the British Pendulum Skid testing equipment.
Produces a stunning texture depth measurement (sand circle test) of 0.9mm (TMR spec for 10mm is >7mm!)
Exceptional anti-skid performance feedback from professional race car drivers in both dry and wet conditions…but especially in the wet!
Where can I use Carbonmastic?
Carbonmastic is such a versatile product and essentially can be used on nearly all network applications.
Its greatest attribute is that it can be used in thin layers from 20mm – 50mm, where surface cracking and minor deformation occurs Carbonmastic can effectively be overlaid providing crack retardation
And a layer of strength that can greatly improve the life expectancy of the pavement.
The product provides a superb safety treatment and can be used in areas where accident blackspots exit, adverse cambers, school zones (leading up to pedestrian crossings), intersections and roundabouts…anywhere you need to stop in a hurry.
It also provides exceptional rut resistance and can be used effectively in high stress areas such as roundabouts, racetracks, intersections and at traffic lights to name a few.
Carbonmastic can be used as a replacement to messy and noisy spray seals. Laid at 20mm Carbonmastic provides a great performance life and the overall cost is favourable.
This replacement treatment avoids costly follow up sweeping, unhappy residents and of course a smoother, quieter surface.
Why would I choose Carbonmastic over conventional l asphalt products?
- Higher rut resistance
- Superior durability and resistance to fatigue
- Great sheer strength
- Decreases road noise significantly.(Up to 5 dba)
- Improved flexibility and ability to contain reflective cracking.
- Improves and delivers a high level of surface skid resistance.
- Carbon char increases pavement colour duration enhancing line marking.
- Every tonne of product produced and laid repurposes 10 waste tyres.
- Allows a thinner application layer in comparison to denser asphalts (Must be designed on a case by case basis) – Cost saving.
Why would I choose Carbonmastic to replace spray sealing products?
- Provides a cheaper alternative when comparing life cycle costs.
- Provides a quieter and eye-pleasing surface finish.
- Less mess with no dust, minimal loose material and costly sweeping, happy residents!.
- Completed in one shift and serviceable within hours eliminating costly closures and multiple site work visits.
- Improving durability whilst delivering a much smoother ride.
- Has significantly higher sheer strength via design and is ideal for higher trafficked areas.
- Avoids damage to public vehicles and claims through chip migration.